A work in progress. Expect significant additions and changes.
A growing resource as we go deep into the issue of agricultural impact on water on the Coffs Coast. What will we find?
The following claims are being collected for further investigation and have not been confirmed:
- A recent Coffs Council report produced by SCU which reports highly alarming results
- Fish kill incident near Glenreagh w/c 25th February. Water tests implicating a nearby farm.
- A new crop being put in right next to Sandy Beach Public School, with no information being provided to the community about any protective measures considering the crop will be metres from children.
- Council undertaking checks of rural water tanks due to pesticide contamination, including rapid replacement of tanks
A collection of documents, videos and images relevant to citizens interested in protecting Coffs water.
Important local groups taking action.
Coffs Harbour Farming Forum
- 03/01/2018 - Water Quality On Bucca Bucca Creek And The Potential Impacts Of Intensive Plant Agriculture
- RDA-NR NSW Blueberry Report
Coverage relevant to protecting Coffs water.
A collection of negative, neutral and positive content which all reveals valuable information on the industries, issues and concerns involved.
- 24/01/2019 - Blueberry Oversupply Hits Farmers As Prices On Supermarket Shelves Drop To A Low
- 02/10/2018 - 7.30 Report: When Your Dream Holiday Turns Into A Nightmare (Video)
Coffs Coast Advocate
⚠️ The following are all articles relevant to our concern for Coffs water. All except four are accessible via that paper's online search tool. We wonder why those four aren't available...
- 18/02/2019 - Managing Land-Use Conflict: Have Your Say
- 14/02/2019 - Chemical Containers Found Dumped In Bush
- 16/01/2019 - Behind The Scenes At High-Tech Packing Facility
- 31/12/2018 - Where Have All The Christmas Beetles Gone?
- 21/12/2018 - Powerful Nerve Toxin Linked To Lake Fish Kill
- 13/12/2018 - Councillors Debate The Future Of Agriculture On The Coffs Coast
- 05/12/2018 - Boambee Blueberry Proposal Withdrawn
- 26/11/2018 - Nationals Candidate Denies Claims Of Cronyism
- 26/11/2018 - The Big Blue Developed Here On The Coffs Coast
- 24/11/2018 - Singh Claims Nationals Pre-Selection
- 22/11/2018 - NOT AGAIN: Farmer Fuming After Thieves Strike
- 10/11/2018 - One Dead, Two Seriously Injured In Fatal Crash
- 30/10/2018 - Rogue Blueberry Operators Giving Industry Bad Name
- 05/10/2018 - Industry Is Alarmed By Political Run Off On Blueberries
- 04/10/2018 - Bid For Greater Regulation Squashed
- 04/10/2018 - Farmers Who Flout The Law Should Get Out Of Industry
- 28/09/2018 - Blueberry Growers Call For Patience
- 15/09/2018 - Farms 'regulated heavily' - ⚠️ This article has 'disappeared' from Coffs Advocate search? Includes Gurmesh Singh's response to the Hearnes Lake and Bucca Creek studies.
- 15/09/2018 - Bellingen Yet To Implement Blueberry Regulations
- 14/09/2018 - Reducing Nitrate Run Off
- 13/09/2018 - Industry Owes Community Answers (letter)
- 08/09/2018 - FEARS OF Farming FALLOUT - ⚠️ This article has 'disappeared' from Coffs Advocate search? Reports on council's water studies.
- 08/09/2018 - Results Ringing Alarm Bells - ⚠️ This article has 'disappeared' from Coffs Advocate search? Reports on council's water studies.
- 06/09/2018 - Operation Targets Beekeepers, Blueberry Growers
- 05/09/2018 - Boambee's Blueberry Battle Is Back On
- 20/08/2018 - Greenwash From The Blueberry Industry (letter)
- 30/07/2018 - Pesticides In Farming (letter)
- 03/07/2018 - Oz Group Announces New CEO
- 23/06/2018 - A Berry Good Start To The Day
- 05/06/2018 - Costa's Chinese Investment Applauded
- 23/05/2018 - Study Into Agricultural Impacts - ⚠️ This article has 'disappeared' from Coffs Advocate search? Reports on council's water studies.
- 18/05/2018 - Concerns For Blueberry Farm in Residential Area
- 15/05/2018 - Blueberry Exports Primed To Expand Under $50 Million Fund
- 16/04/2018 - Age No Barrier To New Apprentice
- 30/03/2018 - MP Disappointed By Greens' Blueberry Stance
- 26/03/2018 - Blueberry Code Unlikely To Deliver Improvement, Councillor Says
- 20/03/2018 - Blueberry Industry Now Bound By Conduct
- 08/03/2018 - Flood Chasers Examine Water Quality In 'World Leading' Study
- 06/02/2018 - Oz-Group Blueberry Packing Facility Coffs Harbour (video)
- 02/02/2018 - 1000 Jobs To Be Created With $17 million Worth Of Projects
- 29/01/2018 - Million Dollar Boost To Local Businesses
- 29/01/2018 - Businesses Benefit From Funding To Create Jobs
- 06/12/2017 - Backpackers Can Pick Up More Jobs, Other Than Picking
- 01/12/2017 - Backpacker Dubs Woolgoolga Farm 'Modern Day Slavery'
- 26/11/2017 - Horticultural Groups To Monitor Land Use Debate
- 26/11/2017 - Security The Future By Building Stronger Farms
- 11/11/2017 - Blueberry Economy Is Netting Jobs And Investment
- 10/11/2017 - The Coffs Coast's Cash Crop
- 08/11/2017 - All Of The Best Kind Of Blues
- 07/11/2017 - Blueberries Export To India
- 07/11/2017 - Coffs Coast Blueberries Being Loved Around The World
- 23/10/2017 - Green Light For Blueberry Exports To China
- 14/10/2017 - Costa Leads The Way In New BlueBerry Development
- 13/10/2017 - Fears Blueberry Farms Will Repeat Past Harm
- 28/09/2017 - Bellingen Shire Restricts The Growth Of Blueberry Farms
- 26/09/2017 - Bellingen Considers Its Blueberry Future
- 25/09/2017 - Crackdown: Multiple Breaches Found At Berry Farms
- 25/09/2017 - Blueberry Awareness Meeting
- 14/09/2017 - New Measures To Meet Seasonal Labour Demands
- 14/09/2017 - Blueberry Industry Calls For Trade Access Into China
- 02/08/2017 - Berry Export To World's Biggest Market Enters Political Fray
- 02/08/2017 - China Desperate For Australian Blueberries: Peter McPherson (Video)
- 21/07/2017 - Foreign Workers Fall Victim To Illegal Job Advertisements
- 19/07/2017 - Australia's Largest Berry Farm Part Of $300 Million Sale
- 07/07/2017 - Something In The Water?
- 18/04/2017 - OPINION: Councils Must Take Control Of Growing Industry
- 20/03/2017 - Residents Want DAs For 'Uncontrolled' Blueberry Farms
- 13/03/2017 - 'Nothing Untoward' With Chemical Spraying On Blueberry Farms
- 02/09/2016 - Farmers' Association Slams Illegal Labour Practices
- 28/08/2016 - Underpaid Blueberry Pickers Forced To Work 36 Days Straight
- 23/08/2016 - New Partnership To Put Woopi On Map
- 19/05/2016 - Blueberry Farmer Fined Over Record-Keeping Failures
- 10/03/2016 - Arkan Raises The Blueberry Balancing Act
- 30/10/2015 - Pickers Not Paid For Fruits Of Labour
- 11/11/2015 - Funds For Blueberry Farmers On Council Agenda
- 10/10/2015 - Copping A Spray (Letter)
- 17/06/2015 - Blueberry Farmer Faces Court On Employment Allegations
- 23/05/2015 - Coffs Blueberry Revolution To Reach New Heights
- 18/10/2014 - Netting Compromise (Letter)
- 15/10/2014 - Strike Right Balance On Blueberries (Editorial)
- 15/10/2014 - Beware Blueberries (Letter)
- 15/10/2014 - Let's See The Compromise (Letter)
- 11/10/2014 - Proud Of Our Farming Folk (Letter)
- 11/10/2014 - Black, Not White Nets (Letter)
- 26/09/2014 - A Berry Bright Future
- 17/09/2014 - Bad Berries Spoil Bush (Letter)
- 17/09/2014 - Just Keep On Growing (Letter)
- 13/09/2014 - Give Berry Farmers A Break (Letter)
- 06/09/2014 - Berry Hard To Live Among (Letter)
- 30/07/2014 - Berry Farms An Eyesore (Letter)
- 24/11/2009 - Bananas Disappearing From Hills
Information loosely associated to the issues being investigated.
One grower claims organic orchards are possible and of a similar yield, and is mystified why other growers stick to chemically-intensive practices which harm our water and community:
I have an Organically Certified Blueberry orchard and I absolutely agree with you Sally that there needs to be more consultation with the community and less herbicides and pesticides used in the conventional growing of blueberries. My orchard is run on world best practices - there are reed beds to prevent any run-off of anything from the orchard, there are over 100 trees at the bottom of the property to provide wildlife habitat and a food source for native birds and insects. I actively encourage good bugs to counteract bad bugs and buy beneficial insects regularly for that purpose. Anyone who says Blueberries can't be grown organically is talking through their hat - the yield is no different BUT THE TASTE MOST CERTAINLY IS - and they taste like all good, natural food should - they have flavour, nutrients and really are good for you, as Blueberries are often touted! Why do these conventional growers refuse to use best practices? Is it ignorance, laziness or plain bloody stubbornness and stupidity - take your pick! I occasionally get painted with the same brush as these cowboys and it really irks. Without community involvement and goodwill the conventional industry has no social license and cannot and should not continue on it's current path.
During the 80s and 90s Coffs saw a spike in birth deformities due to banana plantation spraying (with the spraying undertaken by light planes.
- Personal story of being subjected to direct spray from planes, triggering severe health issues
- Cluster of Cleft Palate, Spina Bifida, Heart and Brain abnormalities - some information from a pesticides awareness site showing an excerpt regarding a spike in incidences from 1984-1993
- A resident discusses the historical impacts at the recent farming forum
- The health and safety of Australia's farming community - refers to Coff's (sic) arbour's cluster of cleft palate in 1992-1993